Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello i’m wondering if someone can help me out, i’ve lived in new york my whole life but me and my family moved out of state towards the end of december. i’m using the app right now and

i know that you have to live in the state 183 days to be considered a resident but i’m unsure if i should check myself as a part year resident or non resident
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello i’m wondering if someone can help me out, i’ve lived in new york my whole life but me and my family moved out of state towards the end of december. i’m using the app right now and

You are at least a part-year resident of NY.  If you were not paid any income in your new state in 2019, then you might just as well indicate you were a full year NY resident since it will make no difference on your taxes.  If you had income in your new state in 2019, then you are a part year resident of NY and a part year resident of state #2.  You need to allocate your income to each state and file as a part year resident in both states.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You are at least a part-year resident of NY.  If you were not paid any income in your new state in 2019, then you might just as well indicate you were a full year NY resident since it will make no difference on your taxes.  If you had income in your new state in 2019, then you are a part year resident of NY and a part year resident of state #2.  You need to allocate your income to each state and file as a part year resident in both states.

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

You would be considered a New York state residence as you resided in New York for more than 11 months during the year.  

According to New York Department of Revenue, ypu are a New York State resident for income tax purposes if:

• your domicile is New York State ; or
  • your domicile is not New York State but you maintain a permanent place of abode in New York State for more than 11 months of the year and spend 184 days or more in New York State during the tax year. Note: Any part of a day is a day for this purpose.

See New York State Explanation for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies