Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I have two 1099-MISC worksheets were my spouse earned add. income as a side job. I've added all applicable info but Turbo requesting Schedule C or F? How do I fix?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello, I have two 1099-MISC worksheets were my spouse earned add. income as a side job. I've added all applicable info but Turbo requesting Schedule C or F? How do I fix?

You would use a Schedule C.   Getting paid as an independent contractor and being issued a 1099MISC, instead of an employee being issued a W-2, is the same as being Self Employed. Schedule C is for reporting business income and expenses for self employed people.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You would use a Schedule C.   Getting paid as an independent contractor and being issued a 1099MISC, instead of an employee being issued a W-2, is the same as being Self Employed. Schedule C is for reporting business income and expenses for self employed people.

Thank you Lisa but I'm still unclear. Both forms were for Miscellaneous income (side jobs) and there are no other values other than Box 7. I am supposed to insert a link to Schedule C or F? What's that about?

When you are paid money for services rendered (be it a side job or full time job), you are either an employee or an independent contractor.   

Employees are issued W2s with social security/medicare and income taxes withheld.

Independent contractors are self employed people and are issued a 1099MISC with earnings in Box 7 - non employee compensation, no taxes have been withheld and they report their self employment income and expenses on Schedule C to compute the amount of social security/medicare and income taxes that need to be paid on those earnings.

Sounds like these companies that hired your spouse paid them as an independent contractor, rather than an employee.   

Its important to clarify with a company when you begin working for them if they classify you as an employee (employees fill out W4 forms for employers to know how much tax to withhold) or an independent contractor (generally you would fill out a W9, giving the company your name/.address/SSN to issue the 1099MISC).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies