Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DanaMarc103
Returning Member

I am using the Windows version of Turbo Tax. I would like to delete form 2441, but when I go to form view and hit delete, it only clears the form, it does not remove it.

My taxes were rejected apparently for the EligibiltyRequirementMetInd, form 2441. My wife and I are Married Filing Separately. 

The error also tells me that I need to resubmit on March 17.

After an extensive exchange with some really nice people on here it seems as though I need to delete form 2441. But I cannot remove it completely. When I go to form view and navigate to form 2441 and hit delete, it only clears the date. So when I go to the review screen I get all sorts of errors because the form is not filled out. 

There is a lot of information on the web and on Turbo Tax about deleting 2441 using the online tool but nothing about Windows download. 

Please help. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am using the Windows version of Turbo Tax. I would like to delete form 2441, but when I go to form view and hit delete, it only clears the form, it does not remove it.

Form 2441 is used to report a dependent care credit or dependent care FSA.  If you have an FSA, it is reported in box 10 of your W-2, and you must include form 2441 with your tax return.  If you are married filing separately, you are not allowed to use the dependent care credit, but you can still use an FSA up to $2500.  Form 2441 is required to reconcile your FSA with your qualified child care expenses, and report if any of the FSA is disallowed and needs to be added back to your taxable income.

The IRS has had several problems with false rejections of MFS tax returns with form 2441.  If the IRS rejection message told you to resubmit on March 17, that is probably when they think their computer system will be fixed.  Don't try and remove the form, if you manage to file without the form, and you have an FSA in box 10 of your W-2, that will trigger a rejection or audit.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Do you have an amount in Box 10 of your W2?  that will trigger the 2441 and it wont be able to be deleted.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
DanaMarc103
Returning Member

Hello again

We waited until 17-March and are still being rejected.  We are getting conflicting information.  Some people are telling us to remove form 2441 (which we still can't do), others are saying that we need to add the amount on form 2441 line 12 to line 14 (tried that, and still getting rejected), and both you and Lisa are saying that W-2 box 10 requires form 2441.  

Do you have any new insights or recommendations?

Form 2441 is used to report a dependent care credit or dependent care FSA.  If you have an FSA, it is reported in box 10 of your W-2, and you must include form 2441 with your tax return.  If you are married filing separately, you are not allowed to use the dependent care credit, but you can still use an FSA up to $2500.  Form 2441 is required to reconcile your FSA with your qualified child care expenses, and report if any of the FSA is disallowed and needs to be added back to your taxable income.

The IRS has had several problems with false rejections of MFS tax returns with form 2441.  If the IRS rejection message told you to resubmit on March 17, that is probably when they think their computer system will be fixed.  Don't try and remove the form, if you manage to file without the form, and you have an FSA in box 10 of your W-2, that will trigger a rejection or audit.

DanaMarc103
Returning Member

Thank you so much for the clear answer.

I have one other question. My wife has already submitted her taxes. We are trying to figure out if she needs to amend her taxes.

My wife's return says married filing separately, not HoH, and there are no dependents listed at the top of the 1040-ES.  Line 12 on her 1040 is also blank.  So does that mean that she is OK and doesn't need to amend her return?  Is there something else which we should check?

Thank you again.

Did your wife also have an FSA at work (box 10 of her W-2)?  Did your wife want to claim your child as a dependent (only one of you can)?  If you lived together during 2018 then HOH is not an option, that only applies if you separated and lived in separate homes since before July 1, 2018.
DanaMarc103
Returning Member

My wife did not have an FSA, and she did not want to claim our daughter as a dependent.

We lived together all year so that makes sense about the HOH.
DanaMarc103
Returning Member

Hello again

We waited until 17-March and are still being rejected.  We are getting conflicting information.  Some people are telling us to remove form 2441 (which we still can't do), others are saying that we need to add the amount on form 2441 line 12 to line 14 (tried that, and still getting rejected), and both you and Lisa are saying that W-2 box 10 requires form 2441.  

Do you have any new insights or recommendations?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies