landl0cker

Health Insurance marketplace TuboTax keeps saying I should get a credit.

When I put in my 1095-A Turbo tax adds a credit, I was not eligible for the APTC that I relieved. My spouse has a health plan that I deemed not affordable. However reading the rules it technically is since her company will pay for most of her cover but none for her depends.

Long story short TurboTax is trying to say I should get a credit for the insurance premiums I paid, when in reality I need to pay back the APTC I already received.  Unfortunately I am unable to figure out how to tell TurboTax I am unable to claim a PTC  and need to pay back the APTC I was not supposed to get in the first place.

Thank you in advance.

landl0cker

Figured it out place .01 in column B of 1095-A. Would have been nice if TurboTax just asked you...

landl0cker

Mike9241

it is not clear from your thread. did your wife's health insurance cover you?   

There are 3 qualifications to be eligible for marketplace insurance:

You must live in the U.S. as a citizen or legal resident.
You must not be incarcerated.
You must not be covered by Medicare, Medicaid, or another insurance plan.

landl0cker

Sorry, I met all those qualifications. I was unemployed and lost my insurance through my previous employer. We looked at adding me to her insurance, but they paid nothing towards added individuals.  So a similar marketplace plan was much cheaper. Thanks for the response!