Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Health care penalty

I was under 18 up until August of 2016 and my mom didn't have health insurance for me and I didn't have a plan, is there any way for me to avoid the penalty?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Health care penalty

If you were a dependent on your mom's tax return, the penalty is her issue, not yours. But if the software is asking your about your health insurance, then you didn't file as a dependent.

The only way for you to avoid the penalty is to file as a dependent. You can do that if you didn't provide at least half of your own living expenses. If you do that, and your mom has claimed you, then the insurance is her issue, not yours.

If you weren't a dependent, then you might qualify for an exemption.  This Marketplace web site has an easy-to-follow questionnaire that might help you.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Health care penalty

If you were a dependent on your mom's tax return, the penalty is her issue, not yours. But if the software is asking your about your health insurance, then you didn't file as a dependent.

The only way for you to avoid the penalty is to file as a dependent. You can do that if you didn't provide at least half of your own living expenses. If you do that, and your mom has claimed you, then the insurance is her issue, not yours.

If you weren't a dependent, then you might qualify for an exemption.  This Marketplace web site has an easy-to-follow questionnaire that might help you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies