Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Health care Expenses deducation Question?

I pay for my own health/dental Insurance premium (after tax dollars).  It is NOT from market place so I don't get 1095A (not sure if that will be a variable. I assume these expenses can be added to health care/medical expenses? I don't have any other health insurance.

Health care/medical expenses are subject to 7.5% rule. Is there any phase out or even income limit?

Q1. 7.5% of which income? AGI? which line on 1040?

Q2. Lets say my AGI for 2021 is $1000000 (just as example, I don't make that much even in my dreams!) so my medical expense has to over $75000 to be eligible to deduct?

Q3. Lets say my medical expenses (made up number just as example) are $80000 and I can only deduct as itemized deduction $5000 ($80k - $75k)?

Q4. Then overall all itemized deductions has to over standard deduction to make used these medical expenses deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Q1. 7.5% of which income? AGI? which line on 1040? AGI line 11

Q2. Lets say my AGI for 2021 is $1000000 (just as example, I don't make that much even in my dreams!) so my medical expense has to over $75000 to be eligible to deduct? correct

Q3. Lets say my medical expenses (made up number just as example) are $80000 and I can only deduct as itemized deduction $5000 ($80k - $75k)? correct

Q4. Then overall all itemized deductions has to over standard deduction to make used these medical expenses deduction? correct

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Q1. 7.5% of which income? AGI? which line on 1040? AGI line 11

Q2. Lets say my AGI for 2021 is $1000000 (just as example, I don't make that much even in my dreams!) so my medical expense has to over $75000 to be eligible to deduct? correct

Q3. Lets say my medical expenses (made up number just as example) are $80000 and I can only deduct as itemized deduction $5000 ($80k - $75k)? correct

Q4. Then overall all itemized deductions has to over standard deduction to make used these medical expenses deduction? correct

Thanks few additional things.

Q1: I pay for my own health/dental Insurance premium (after tax dollars).  It is NOT from market place so I don't get 1095A (not sure if that will be a variable. I assume these expenses can be added to health care/medical expenses? I don't have any other health insurance like medicare or COBRA etc.

Q2: Health care/medical expenses are subject to 7.5% of AGI rule. Is there any phase out or income limits where one can not deduct these expenses?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies