Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HAVING TURBOTAX DOWNLOAD MY W2

I HAD TURBOTAX DOWNLOAD MY W2. SOMEWHERE IN THE PROCESS THE  CA STATE PROGRAM INCLUDED ALL OF MY EARNINGS AS PAID FAMILY LEAVE, WHICH CAUSED MY STATE TAX LIABILITY TO BE UNDERSTATED BY ABOUT $7,000! I HOPE SOMEONE FROM TURBOTAX READS THIS

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

HAVING TURBOTAX DOWNLOAD MY W2

In the California interview, you are asked to confirm that the W-2 amount is or is not Paid Family Leave - see below. Users who do not read the screens carefully sometime skip through this page without realizing what the instructions are asking.

Please read the following:

Paid Family Leave (PFL) is income that is taxable on the federal return but is non-taxable on the California state return if it

• is paid by the state's Employment Development Department (EDD) and appears on a 1099-G form –OR–
  • is paid by an insurance company under a Voluntary Plan for Disability Insurance (VPDI) and reported on a W-2 from the insurance company.

To repeat: PFL is not included in your employer's regular W-2 but on a separate W-2 from the insurer.

Amounts called “PFL” that are paid by your employer and which appear on the W-2 from your employer (see last image below) are taxable both on the federal level and by the state of California.

When you mark a W-2 in TurboTax as being PFL, a screen about PFL appears in the California section of the interview.

**W-2 Interview**

A screenshot of a web page

Description automatically generated

**California Interview**

A screenshot of a company

The amount of wages on the W-2 marked as PFL is displayed so you don't have to look it up, but you are asked enter the amount (if any) that was paid by an insurance company, and not your employer.

If none of the amount was paid by an insurance company but all of it was paid by your employer, then you must enter zero (0) in the wages box on this screen, because any amount reported by your employer in box 16 of a W-2 is considered by California as compensation for services or taxable fringe benefits.

A screenshot of a registration form

Note that compensation for short-term disability, vacation days, sick leave, and other employer benefits are not considered to be tax-free PFL.

If so "so-called" Paid Family Leave was actually paid by the employer on the W-2, then do not check Paid Family Leave on the screen after you enter the W-2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies