Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mlarsonsr

Has anyone not been able to update turbo tax but gets error message saying Failed Updates: error 2502

The error msg continues to say installer encountered unexpected error when installing the package.  May indicate a problem with the package.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Has anyone not been able to update turbo tax but gets error message saying Failed Updates: error 2502

Which TurboTax product are you using?

@mlarsonsr 

I have the same problem. I downloaded Turobtax Home and Business from Staples. And then it wanted me to get updates before proceeding. After about 3 hours of download time it said that I had two failed updates. For each it says you can "check for solution." In both cases it said "Sorry a solution for this was not found."

So now I'm trying to find the updates for Home and Business here on the Turbotax website and cant' find it. I can find an update for "Individual" and "Business", but not "Home and Business."

Pleas advise.

Thanks

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try the steps below to resolve this issue. These 2502 and 2503 errors are because a program needs to install using the temp folders and they do not have permission to do so. These next steps give permissions to the temp folder to fix not having those errors.

1. Press the Windows key on the keyboard and while holding that key down, press the letter "R"
2. The Run command will display
3. type cmd
4. Hold the control key + the shift key and while holding both of those keys, use the mouse to 5. click the OK button
6. Answer Yes if you are prompted with a Yes/No question      

7. copy and paste these commands

takeown /f "%systemroot%\Temp" /R /A /D Y
icacls "%systemroot%\Temp" /inheritance:r /grant:r Users:(OI)(CI)F /T
icacls "%systemroot%\Temp" /inheritance:r /grant:r Everyone:(OI)(CI)F /T
icacls "%systemroot%\Temp" /grant Administrators:F /T
icacls "%systemroot%\Temp" /grant Users:F /T
icacls "%systemroot%\Temp" /grant SYSTEM:F /T
icacls "%systemroot%\Temp" /grant Everyone:F /T

takeown /f "%temp%" /R /A /D Y
icacls "%temp%" /inheritance:r /grant:r Users:(OI)(CI)F /T
icacls "%temp%" /inheritance:r /grant:r Everyone:(OI)(CI)F /T
icacls "%temp%" /grant Administrators:F /T
icacls "%temp%" /grant Users:F /T
icacls "%temp%" /grant SYSTEM:F /T
icacls "%temp%" /grant Everyone:F /T

Done. No reboot necessary.

- cyanohydrax

"miletxcom New Member"

If you still need additional assistance, please reach out to our TurboTax Customer Service team: Contact Us

@scj71 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank! Worked perfectly.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Glad to hear that the information provided resolved your issue - thanks for the update.

Do you copy one line of that code at a time?

I can't update and Ive tried uninstalling reinstalling turning off antivirus etc..

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You do need to go line by line to resolve this. 

If you are having trouble and would like assistance, please click here to contact us by phone. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies