Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

izd

Got married last year.I filled my federal tax separately for 2018.Now I found that I'm eligible to file jointly.Can I again file jointly for 2018 using 1040X?

My husband hasn't file his tax for 2018 yet. Do we need to file 1040 for the joint return and 1040X for my amendment?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Got married last year.I filled my federal tax separately for 2018.Now I found that I'm eligible to file jointly.Can I again file jointly for 2018 using 1040X?

Yes, you may file jointly through an amended return.  You do not need to submit a new 1040 for him, but rather select "amended return" on your account, and then enter in his information selecting that you want to file jointly.  Make sure you include his income as well.  When it asks for a reason for the amend, type in:  Filing Status changed from Married Filing Separate to Married Filing Joint."

Congratulations on your marriage, by the way.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may file jointly through an amended return.  You do not need to submit a new 1040 for him, but rather select "amended return" on your account, and then enter in his information selecting that you want to file jointly.  Make sure you include his income as well.  When it asks for a reason for the amend, type in:  Filing Status changed from Married Filing Separate to Married Filing Joint."

Congratulations on your marriage, by the way.

izd

Thank you. But according to IRS form 1040X instruction on page 7(resident and non-resident alien): We need to file a new 1040 and attach it with the 1040X. is it correct?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If he originally filed a 1040NR, yes.  You will also attach a statement stating you elect for the nonresident alien spouse to be treated as a resident for tax purposes.  If he did not originally file 1040NR, only 1040X is needed to include his income, but you still attach the statement along with the form.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies