Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LCM4
Returning Member

Glitch in software making it impossible to avoid Audit Defense

For the first time in over 10 years of using TurboTax (TT) I have received my refund direct deposited into my bank account from TPG LLC rather than directly from IRS. For those who are not aware, TPG is a banking service that TT uses when customers choose to have TT software or other service fees taken from their refund. TPG usually takes in addition to the TT fee, another fee for their brokerage services.  In my case, my refund was reduced by $85--I confirmed this by going to IRS Where's My Refund and confirming that I was refunded my full expected amount by the IRS. I then went to the TPG website (webtaxpayer (sbtpg.com) where one can see details on the fees taken from your refund. In my case it was a $45 'TurboTax Product Fee' plus another $40 'Bank fee' for 'Option to pay with your refund'. However, I know this fee was not for the software as I had already purchased it (TT Deluxe installed on my hard drive). Instead, as near as I can tell, the 'TT Product Fee' was for 'Audit Defense' that I have never purchased previously. This year the software makes it difficult if not impossible to avoid purchasing it as screen shots (cropped for privacy) follow in sequence by clicking 'continue' in each instance. As can be seen, the software moves from 'Analysis' to 'Audit Protection' and then automatically (by clicking continue) selects 'Audit Defense'. What is even more surprising is that Audit Defense is then not even listed at the bottom of the 'Summary' page (likely glitch). Thinking that one is then only using filing a federal return for free, no credit card advance payment is made for the Audit Defense (I did make credit card advance payment as I always do for my state filing). I suspect that TT is going to make a windfall from Audit Defense this year...but lose some of its most loyal customers...this bad timing atop the $141 million settlement last year.  

Picture1.pngPicture3.pngPicture4.pngPicture5.pngPicture6.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LCM4
Returning Member

See my additional post (meant to be a reply to this) titled 'Defaulting Customers to Purchase Audit Defense' for additional information. 

It is included for free and not on the summary page because it is no longer being charged for.

LCM4
Returning Member

Thank you for your response. However, I believe the free inclusion of Audit Defense with TurboTax Deluxe Edition is only for the annual subscription, I have the one-time purchase from a retailer (moreover, I was charged and had the $45 taken along with additional fee from my refund):

Picture7.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies