turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gift Tax - If I return the gift to the donor within the same tax year, does the donor need to pay gift tax?

If donor A gave me 60k (above gift exemption) and later in the year I return the 60k to the donor,  do donor A need to pay gift tax? or worst I would have to pay gift tax too since IRS consider both transaction separately. 

My question is, does IRA look at net gift amount or per transaction when considering gift tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Gift Tax - If I return the gift to the donor within the same tax year, does the donor need to pay gift tax?

@Curious_panda1 wrote:

My question is, does IRA look at net gift amount or per transaction when considering gift tax?

It is per donee from the same donor. In other words, as a donor you can give any number of persons up to the annual exclusion amount ($18,000 for 2024) without being required to file a gift tax return (709).

Also, the two transactions will most likely be treated as separate completed gifts despite the fact that they were made in the same tax year.

A completed gift merely requires donative intent, delivery, and acceptance. 

There will be no tax due unless, in the unlikely event, you have exceeded the lifetime exemption (currently over $13 million).

The alternative here would be to argue that the initial transfer was in the nature of a mistake and the return was done to rectify that mistake.

>There will be no tax due unless, in the unlikely event, you have exceeded the lifetime exemption (currently over $13 million).

Can you elaborate? I was under the impression if a donor gave a donee more than the annual exempt amount (18000 for 2024) then tax would be owed?

@Curious_panda1 wrote:

Can you elaborate? I was under the impression if a donor gave a donee more than the annual exempt amount (18000 for 2024) then tax would be owed?

Not unless the lifetime exemption has been exceeded.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i709#en_US_2023_publink16784xd0e5332

Note that the information at the link above is for the 2023 tax year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies