Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blm1028

Gift from Parent with dual citizenship

Hello,

My mom wants to gift me $500K and it's not from her income.  She has dual citizenship from the US and Vietnam.  The money will be coming from Vietnam.

What are the tax implications?  Can she just wire me the money or write a check or something?  I am not sure how all this works.

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Gift from Parent with dual citizenship

@blm1028 , assuming that you a US person ( Citizen/ GreenCard ), this would be a gift from a US person  (  US will ignore  that your mother is also a Vietnam citizen for Us tax purposes ) to a US person.  Thus  you do not have to file anything ( unless the monies rest in a foreign bank / financial account  that you either own or have signature authority over -- for FBAR and/or FATCA regs ).  Your mother on the other hand will have to file a form 709  -- US gift tax form , recognizing the gift .  It has  no immediate tax effect but  will count against her gift/estate tax lifetime  credit amount.

Can she write check ?  Generally no unless you  also have a foreign bank account for  where the check can be honored --- checks  generally cannot cross international boundaries.  If she wires the amount to your bank account in the USA, your bank will raise a SAR  ( Suspicious  Activity Report ) as a  general practice and generally nothing happens -- US treasury requires this for all activities  ( international ) for amounts >  US$10,000.  Note that high amounts like  a million or more may require  US Treasury approval for incoming   while the outgoing country may also have restrictions / foreign exchange controls  (  even if the amount is from a US $ denominated account locally held.

Is there more one of us can do for you ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies