Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gave a lecture for a fee and got 1099-NEC. Is that "materially participating" in business?

I have a regular job as an academic and get a W2 form. Once this past year, I gave a lecture at another university and received an honorarium, and so I got a 1099-NEC for that.  So I'm now being treated as self-employed by my own business, which is Education. This is fine, I guess, but I'm confused about how to describe my participation in my "business." I am a full-time educator, but the lecture for which I received the 1099-NEC was not full-time work. It was a one-off. So to the question of whether I "materially participate" in my business of Education, I'm guessing the answer is "no"?  Although I materially participate in a job in education that gives me a W2, I do not materially participate in my self-employment education "business." Please confirm if this sounds right to you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Gave a lecture for a fee and got 1099-NEC. Is that "materially participating" in business?

Sounds right. When you report the 1099-NEC you will have the opportunity to say it is other income not related to a business. 

@Bsch4477 , where does it give me the opportunity to say this income isn't related to a business? I didn't get prompted for that. Maybe I should delete and start again?

OLTLfan
Returning Member

Definitely is "materially participating."

Income >Choose what to work on >Less common income >Other income not already reported >other wages—yes

continue until Source of other earned income >Other 

enter “lecture fee on 1099-NEC” and amount. 

Result appears as other earned income on your 1040 line 1h. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies