Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

URMLD

FURTHER EXTENSIONFOR PERMANENT DISABILITY AND SEVERE MEDICAL CONDITIONS

I'm totally and permanently disabled since 1995.   On top of that, I've had severe medical conditions this year, e.g., pneumonia (hospitalization/ICU, rehab), broken ribs, congestive heart failure, etc.  My question:  can the Oct. 15 extension deadline (which I filed for and received) be extended due to severe medical conditions?  I do my own taxes using TT and have run into so many medical difficulties that I'm way behind in getting all my data in place before I start using TT to file for 2022.  It also takes me much longer to do things these days. ;)) Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

FURTHER EXTENSIONFOR PERMANENT DISABILITY AND SEVERE MEDICAL CONDITIONS

@URMLD thank you for the question, and I am so sorry to read that you are have been dealing with a severe medical condition for such a long period of time.  Unfortunately, there is no further extension available past the six months you received when filing Form 4868.  

Ultimately, you do want to file a tax return, and I know you are planning on it.  If it is file after October 16, 2023, which is probably going to be the case there are options if you owe money to the IRS.  

See Penalty Relief if a penalty is assessed and you can pay the taxes owed.  See this if you cannot pay the taxes: Unable to Pay Your Tax Bill? Here’s What To Do 

You may also consider choosing Turbo Tax Live Full Service if you can get your paperwork together, but cannot do the Turbo Tax yourself.  See:  Turbo Tax Live Full Service 

All the best,

Marc T.

TurboTax Live Select Time Tax Expert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies