Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sfgiantsnlwest1
Returning Member

Fully Cancel/Reset 2022 Amendment so that capital carryovers are properly applied to 2023

- I successfully filed 2022 taxes in Turbo Tax online 

- I then created a fake 2022 amendment that I intended as a sandbox to play around with "what-if" scenarios for taxes (ie what would happen to taxes if I removed an account) 

- I clicked cancel amendment

I thought that this would fully un-amend my 2022 taxes and I would be back to where I started.

However, my capital loss carry overs from my 2022 officially filed return did not properly populate properly on my 2023 tax return. (the capital loss was from one of the accounts I removed in my sandbox amendment ( the fake amendment that I then "cancelled" in the UI, though it didn't seem to fully cancel)

Is there a way to just un-amend my 2022 return as if I never did it, so that my 2023 return has the capital loss carryovers (and any other hidden carryovers) properly carried over? The fake amendment seems to now be the source of truth for 2022, even though it was never intended to be the source of truth.

I tried adding back in the accounts to the fake amendment, but it still didn't appear to carry over the losses properly, to 2023, even after I re-added them to the 2022 fake amendment. I then tried to cancel amendment again and no-bueno to the 2023 carry over. 

Any ideas for how to just properly reset and get into a state of my 2022 officially filed return? I suppose I could do the carry over manually, but I'm worried I missed something else with the state of my 2022 return being messed up. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies