Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form W-2G State & Local Section

I live in Illinois and have W-2G forms earned in Nevada that are giving me a problem on the Windows desktop version of TT Deluxe.

Here is an example of a W-2G that is giving me trouble:

Box 13 State/Payer's State ID Number:  <Blank> on W-2G

Box 14 State Winnings:  $1,500 on W-2G

Box 15 State Income Tax Withheld:  <Blank> on W-2G

Box 16 Local Winnings:  $1,500 listed on W-2G

Box 17 Local Income Tax Withheld:  <Blank> on W-2G

Box 18 Name of Locality:  Listed on W-2G

When entering exactly what is shown on my W-2G form in this section on TT, I immediately see "Needs Review" on the W-2G summary section.  When running Smart Check, it says "Payer's State ID number must be entered".  Also, "State code must be entered".

I could copy the payer's federal ID to this section to resolve the first error, but what am I supposed to do with the State ID?  Conversely, I could delete the state and local winnings amounts as well as the locality so that this entire section is blank, but I don't feel as though I should do that since this information has been included on the form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Enter NV  for State and Federal ID for the State ID.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your reply.  I did copy the payor's federal ID into the state ID box.  I was not able to enter Nevada for the state, as it was not included in the drop down of available choices on the W-2G screen.  I think this is because Nevada does not have a state tax.  

When I ran Smart Check, every one of the related W-2Gs created an error because the state was missing.  During Smart Check, I was able to use the drop down and enter Nevada (NV) without any problems.  

This buggy issue was somewhat of a pain and could have easily been avoided had TT allowed me to enter Nevada right there on the W-2G screen.  But it didn't, and I needed to correct every error on the Smart Check screen.

I was able to E-file my return with the IRS without any problems.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies