Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to fill out 8962 form

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Form 8962 is taken from the information on your 1095-A. Once you enter it, the form will be generated.

Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit is required when someone on your tax return had health insurance in 2018 through Healthcare.gov (or a state marketplace) and took the Advance Premium Tax Credit to lower their monthly premium. We'll help you create (or correct) the form in TurboTax.

First, find your form 1095-A. (This won’t be in TurboTax—you should have received a paper form in the mail from your marketplace.) Then, follow the instructions below for your version of TurboTax.

When you're done in TurboTax, you'll need to print out form 8962 and mail or fax it to the IRS, along with any other items requested in their letter (IRS Letter 0012c).

If there's a change to your refund amount or the amount you owe, you'll need to print and send page 1 of your 1040.

Keep in mind:

• Respond promptly.
    • If you disagree with the IRS, respond with an explanation—and with the item(s) they're requesting.
  • You don't need to complete or send a Form 1040X (amended tax return) to the IRS.
    • Send page 2 of your 1040 only if the refund or owed amount has changed.

mhargrove

I already filed then received the 1095-A forms (1st year to have it) and IRS kicked my return out and don't understand how to fill two 8962 forms for I carry my son also..

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Nothing has changed except where to enter your 1095-A. Form 8962 is still generated off the information entered. If your 1095-A carries two people, enter them both.

If you purchased health insurance through Healthcare.gov or your state's health insurance marketplace, you should receive your 1095-A by mid-February.

Your 1095-A should include info for everybody on your return who was enrolled in a Marketplace plan, and is required to calculate the Premium Tax Credit.

Here's how to enter your 1095-A in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. In the upper right, search for 1095-A.
  3. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  4. Answer Yes on the Did you receive Form 1095-A for your health insurance plan? screen and Continue.
  5. Enter your 1095-A info on the next screen and select Continue. We don't need all the info from your 1095-A, so we'll only ask about the info that affects your return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies