Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8949 - where to put cost basis and code to use

On my 1099-B the cost basis is blank, therefore (sale of RSU/SSAR)

On form 8949 if I check Box B on Part 1 and I use Code B in column (f)  -  do I put the cost basis is column (g)?  Turbo Tax Premier is not allowing me to do this.    Per instructions from Deloitte this is correct.

If I read IRS instructions for form 8949 it shows this for Code B:    You received a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement) and the basis shown in box 1e is incorrect

Do:   If this transaction is reported on a Part I with box B checked at the top or if this transaction is reported on a Part II with box E checked at the top, enter the correct basis in column (e), and enter -0- in column (g).

Where does the cost basis go (e) or (g)?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Form 8949 - where to put cost basis and code to use

The amount goes in column (e). The cost basis can be entered and should be entered in the actual sale entry.  

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax
  2. In the search box, search for investment sales then select the Jump to link in the search results
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you sell any of these investments in 2022? (or Okay! to Time to kick off your investments!)
    • If you land on the Investment sales summary or Your investments and savings screen, select Add More Sales or Add investments (or Edit beside your sale)

The following links may be helpful as well.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies