Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8938 thresholds and First Year choice

Hi all,

I need advice on US tax filing on Form 8938 requirement. My wife and I moved from Brazil to the US on November 7, 2023, on W2 job.

In 2023 tax year, we're electing to be treated as US tax residents from our move date (First Year Choice) filing jointly. We were Brazilian tax residents for whole year of 2023 and previous years.

My question is about Form 8938 Presence Abroad test. Are we considered Taxpayers living outside the United States in our situation? Determining that is crucial to determine the applicable Form 8938 reporting threshold - $100,000 for Taxpayers living in the United States vs $400,000 for Taxpayers living outside the United States.

As a reference this is the Presence Abroad test taken from the IRS Form 8938 Instructions. I wonder if we meet the second criteria?

"Presence abroad. You satisfy the presence abroad test if you are one of the following.
A U.S. citizen who has been a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year.

A U.S. citizen or resident who is present in a foreign country or countries at least 330 full days during any period of 12 consecutive months that ends in the tax year being reported."

Thanks for any help you can provide!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Check back later. I will page Champ @pk.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@NewTaxResident  just to recap on what I understand of your situation:

(a) you  ( and your spouse) came to US on a work visa ( which type please ?) on Nov. 7th of 2023.  Thus  you would have been a Non-Resident for tax purposes.  However, since you have met the  SPT for the year 2024, you now wish to exercise  the first year choice for 2023 filing --yes ?

(b)  you own/operate/control one or more bank / financial account(s) or own specified financial assets in Brazil, thus coming under the FATCA and FBAR regime/requirements.

Noting that:     (1) both FBAR and FATCA regs require the taxpayer to be a US person ( citizen/GreenCard/Resident for tax purposes) during the period of reporting;   (2) there is no tax consequences on owning/recognizing  FBAR/FATCA assets but reporting being mandatory;

I would follow the general adage " when in doubt" do the needful  i.e. file the reports  when in doubt.

But more specific answer, please consider answering my request fore more information.  Please note that  there is NO tax treaty between US and Brazil.

I will circle back once I hear from you --yes ?

muito obrigado

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies