Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Drmene

Form 8938 and joint account held with parents

Recent Greencard holder, filing US taxes for first time (Married filing jointly, spouse is a US citizen only)

My name is on a foreign account with my parents (Canadian Citizens only). The account has had a value > $150000 USD in the 2023 year.

I have no financial interest in the account.

I've already reported it on the FBAR.

Do I have to file form 8938 for the account?

Do I have to file all my other personal foreign bank accounts/investments (total value less than $50000 over the year) on form 8938?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Form 8938 and joint account held with parents

1. Yes total value of all assets is used to determine filing requirement. Here is a comparison of the FATCA (Form 8938) and FBAR

2. Yes, again, total value of all assets

IRS Basic Questions and Answers on Form 8938 states:

What are the specified foreign financial assets that I need to report on Form 8938?

If you are required to file Form 8938, you must report your financial accounts maintained by a foreign financial institution.  Examples of financial accounts include:

• Savings, deposit, checking, and brokerage accounts held with a bank or broker-dealer.

And, to the extent held for investment and not held in a financial account, you must report stock or securities issued by someone who is not a U.S. person, any other interest in a foreign entity, and any financial instrument or contract held for investment with an issuer or counterpart that is not a U.S. person.  Examples of these assets that must be reported if not held in an account include:

• Stock or securities issued by a foreign corporation;
  • A note, bond or debenture issued by a foreign person;
  • An interest rate swap, currency swap, basis swap, interest rate cap, interest rate floor, commodity swap, equity swap, equity index swap, credit default swap or similar agreement with a foreign counterpart;
  • An option or other derivative instrument with respect to any of these examples or with respect to any currency or commodity that is entered into with a foreign counterpart or issuer;
  • A partnership interest in a foreign partnership;
  • An interest in a foreign retirement plan or deferred compensation plan;
  • An interest in a foreign estate;
  • Any interest in a foreign-issued insurance contract or annuity with a cash-surrender value.

The examples listed above do not comprise an exclusive list of assets required to be reported.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies