Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GregR427

Form 8889-T High Deductible Health Plan

I'm using TurborTax Desktop and am stuck with an error on Form 8889-T.  I had a High Deductible Health Plan that ended in mid-2021 and excess contributions in that year.  Since that time my family and I have had coverage every month of 2022 & 2023, but NOT under a HDHP.  I checked the boxes in the Deductions & Credits section that we did NOT have an HDHP plan in 2023 and also that we DID have coverage throughout 2023.

The error keeps taking me back to Form 8889-T Line 1 to select if I had HDHP coverage in 2023 from Self of Family.  There is no option for None in 2023, so I left it blank, but cannot e-file without selecting an option.

Everything else about the excess contribution and related tax looks correct.  How can I get past this error?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Form 8889-T High Deductible Health Plan

Since you did not go through the HSA interview in 2023, TurboTax knows that you had no HDHP coverage for 2023, so the calculations for the 8889 should be correct.

So on the error that the Review sees on Lines 1 on the 8889, you can enter Self, because it will (1) not affect the calculations, and (2) will get you past this Review issue.

As if you are asked about "What Type of High Deductible Health Plan did [name] have on December 1, 2022?" that's when you say, "NONE", to bypass this check...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies