Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lb93
Level 1

Form 8833

Every year i have to file this form because my husband taught in Canada. And it means I have to print and mail tax forms. It does not change my taxes. Can't turbotax  let me append a pdf to my efile?  Or a statement explaining something (this year  we sold a house in state A while a resident of state B.  I can't append the explanation of how I came up with the amount that was already taxed to explain to state b ? This is really stupid. Especially when they try to convince me I could really efile. Make it true intuit!  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Form 8833

While I can't answer the why of the pdf issues, I may have a solution. Your husband is a teacher. That could allow you the exemption of not having to file the 8833. From Claiming Tax Treaty Benefits:

The payee does not have to file Form 8833 for any of the following situations:

1. The payee can claim a reduced rate of withholding tax under a treaty on interest, dividends, rent, royalties, or other fixed or determinable annual or periodic income ordinarily subject to the 30% rate.
  2. The payee can claim a treaty exemption that reduces or modifies the taxation of income from dependent personal services, pensions, annuities, social security and other public pensions, or income of artists, athletes, students, trainees, or teachers. This includes taxable scholarship and fellowship grants.
  3. The payee can claim a reduction or modification of taxation of income under an International Social Security Agreement or a Diplomatic or Consular Agreement.
  4. The payee is a partner in a partnership, or a beneficiary of an estate or trust and the partnership, estate, or trust reports the required information on its return.
  5. The payments or items of income that are otherwise required to be disclosed total no more than $10,000.

For recent changes to the requirements for filing Form 8833, refer to the instructions attached to the Form 8833. About Form 8833, Treaty-Based Return Position Disclosure.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 8833

Great suggestion. TurboTax, please let us add a PDF as an attachment mentioned to e-file or work in form 8833 to Turbo Tax Deluxe.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies