Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Form 8332

Hello, my ex and I have been divorced since 2010, we have two kids that are full time students.  She is custodial parent, but since the one child I am declaring is 22 (full-time student) do I still need this form.


thank you.

2 Replies
Level 15

Form 8332

If the kids live with her, you need a signed 8332 from her to claim any child as a dependent. 

Expert Alumni

Form 8332

Yes, you’ll need to fill out Form 8332. All that’s needed is your child's name, the tax year, your Social Security number, then signatures and date. If you prefer to release the claim for more than one tax year, enter the same information in part two rather than part one. Once complete, give the form to your child's noncustodial parent, not the IRS. They will file it with their tax return. If you release your claim for multiple tax years, you only need to fill out the form once: the other parent will attach copies of the original to their return each year.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies