Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 56 with Trust, Valid Will, and no court proceedings

Good morning! 

I am working on Form 56 and having difficulty figuring out the correct option for Section A Authority.

My mother recently passed away and her revocable trust became an irrevocable trust.  She also has a valid will.  There were no court proceedings. 

I am the trustee on her trust and the executor on her will.

My understanding is that I need to file 2 versions of Form 56.  One as the trustee for the trust's tax returns, where I will choose Option E  (valid trust instrument and amendments).  The second will be for my mother's final tax return. 

It is the second Form  56 that I am unsure about.  Option 1a doesn't fit because there wasn't a court appointment.  Option 1b doesn't fit because there was a valid will. Option C isn't appropriate for this situation at all. Option 1d doesn't fit, again, because there was a valid will.  Option 1e is for trusts and I think is not the right choice because this is for a person.  Option f doesn't fit because it is for bankruptcy.   Option g is other.

Would this be other?  If so, any suggestion on the details (or do I just state what I have stated here)?  Do I use her date of death as the date of transfer of assets/date of assignment?

I am grateful in advance for any assistance you can offer.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Form 56 with Trust, Valid Will, and no court proceedings

"Other" will work and you can include the pertinent details such as the fact that there is a valid will in which you have been named the executor and the date of death. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies