Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 4868 for Scholarship recipients

Hello,

I received some scholarship from my university and now I need to file taxes. The due date is coming but I need to apply for an extension. I don't have an ITIN number yet so in the form 4868 I'm writing: ITIN TO BE REQUESTED. 

My doubt is how to estimate my income of tax liability. I have a 1042-S form where I can see my gross income and my federal tax withheld, but I don't know where to put that in the form 4868. I also don't know if I owe any taxes, I don't think so. I'm very new to this and quite confused, and I can't afford a tax agent at the moment. 

In form 4868 it tells me to look at my form 1040 to get the information that I need, but I have only received form 1042-S. 

I'm a student and really worried that I won't be able to file for an extension on time, please help me!

Thank you so much,

D. D.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

Form 4868 for Scholarship recipients

First, you could do an estimate of what your tax liability could be using the TurboTax Tax Calculator.  Once you estimate your liability, you will have to mail in your extension, since you do not have an ITIN number yet.  You can look at the instructions for Form 4868 to find the correct mailing address for the state where you live.  

Another thing to consider would be what tax form you will need, depending on if you are a resident alien or a nonresident alien.  There are two tests to determine if you are a resident or nonresident.  One is the green card test if you are a citizen or have a green card you meet this test.  The other test is substantial presence, to meet it you need to spend at least 31 days in the U.S. during the current tax year and a total of 183 days during the last three tax years. If you satisfy the requirements of either one, you’re considered a resident alien for income tax purposes; otherwise, you’re treated as a non-resident alien. 

If you are considered a resident alien, then you will file a Form 1040 and you will be able to file your return with TurboTax.  If you are a non-resident alien, you will need to file a form 1040-NR and your will need software like Sprintax to guide you through the non-resident tax return preparation process.

For more information see the TurboTax help article Tax Tips for Resident and Non-Resident Aliens.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies