Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 4562 not transferring prior year depreciation - Is that intentional programming of the software or is this a glitch?

Folks,

I have been using TT Business desktop since 2020 tax year.  I am reviewing form 4562 and have noticed that the column for prior year depreciation is not completely filled.  That is, the prior year depreciation value of my work vans is populated with the correct value (see yellow highlighted cells).  The prior year depreciation of my computers and printers does not show the total depreciation over the years (see green highlighted cells).

Is that intentional programming of the software or is this a glitch?

Screenshot 2024-01-16 111250.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Form 4562 not transferring prior year depreciation - Is that intentional programming of the software or is this a glitch?

Hello @MarilynG1 , thank you for this response.  I was on the phone for over 2 hours with Turbo Tax Desktop technical support.  They admitted that this is a flaw in the programming and that they will fix it.  It is not a failure of entering data in my 2017 return, as you suggested.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Is there an answer for this?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I would advise looking at your 2017 return where you initially added the assets.  Unless you deducted their cost as an expense, you should have an amount in 'Prior Depreciation'  and 'Accumulated Depreciation', not just 'Current Depreciation' in your returns from 2018 going forward.  

Since we can't see your return in this forum, you may want to enlist the aid of TurboTax Live to help you with this issue.

Here's a TurboTax Community discussion of a similar issue; with a workaround. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello @MarilynG1 , thank you for this response.  I was on the phone for over 2 hours with Turbo Tax Desktop technical support.  They admitted that this is a flaw in the programming and that they will fix it.  It is not a failure of entering data in my 2017 return, as you suggested.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies