Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KrishMur

Form 2210

On Form 2210, when I checkmark Part II D, I get error message and it won't let me e-file my return. The error cited is that sum of four columns of Tax Withheld Smart worksheet does not add up to the total Fed tax withheld. I have checked several times that sum of four columns on worksheet adds up to the total Fed Tax withheld. My withholding of taxes was very high in the first quarter, accordingly the penalty is significantly reduced by check marking the Part II D, as opposed to using equal average withholding for each quarter (appears to be Turbotax default computation). 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Form 2210

Since you can see the Tax Withheld Smart worksheet on the Form 2210, I'll assume you are using desktop software.   As you'll see on that worksheet, if you also had any estimated tax payments in addition to withholding, there's a warning there to be sure you don't enter them in one of the columns of the Tax Withheld Smart worksheet.   Estimates paid, if any, are entered in another place in the program.  So I'll assume from what you wrote above that you are only entering withholding in the Tax Withheld Smart worksheet, as instructed on the form. 

If it was me, and if I was trying to troubleshoot, one of the first places I'd look is a TurboTax worksheet called Tax Payments, which shows all tax payments of every variety and see if it all correlates with the 2210.     Go into Forms Mode and in the left column list of forms, scroll down to one called Tax Payments.   Is there any clue there as to what might be happening?    Does the total amount of Federal withholding shown there on the Tax Payments worksheet equal the total of the 4 columns of your Tax Withheld Smart worksheet of the 2210?

Form 2210

The TurboTax default is the IRS default.

If your 4 quarters don't add up, you left something out  .

get withholding from 25d

add the first three numbers on 2210 and subtract that from 25d.

put that difference, if positive, in the 4th box on 2210 and the error will go away.

@KrishMur 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies