Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1116 question about Simplified Limitation Election Eligibility

Hi there, I am entering Fidelity form 1116 into TurboTax and request your confirmation below. Thank you!

My income is below 60k. Would you recommend choosing "simplified limitation election eligibility"?
It says: Because you're subject to the AMT, we need to know how you want to handle your foreign tax credit with the options

First Year You are Eligible?
Indicate whether this is the first year you are eligible to make the simplified foreign tax limitation election for AMT purposes. Once you make this election, it applies to all later tax years and can't be changed unless you obtain IRS consent:

• Option 1: First year I am eligible for the election
  • Option 2: I made the election in 2021 or a previous year
  • Option 3:I choose NOT to use the election in 2021 or a previous year.

(I seem to have missed submitting foreign tax credit last year or I don't remember seeing that question saying "Because you're subject to the AMT" last year probably because I just finished college and my income was below 20k)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I would recommend choosing the simplified foreign tax option. It seems this would be easier and simple and less confusing. That is what I am doing.

Thank you. As my income is low <60k, I probably don't have to pay AMT. So does this option for simplified foreign tax option have anything to do with AMT? What are the benefits of choosing or not choosing that option? Thanks again.

It's best to just let turbotax handle the AMT tax. The benefit is that it is simpler. At your income you probably will not be subject to the AMT tax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies