Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1116 Qual Div & LT Cap Gains should have a value of ...

Hi, in my federal review, I am running into the following question. How would I go about answering it?

"Form 1116 (COPY 1) -- Foreign Tax Credit Comp Wks: Qual Div and LT Cap Gains should have a value of at least $X based on the 1099-DIV worksheets that are linked to this country."

In my 1099-DIV from Vanguard, I see a "Detail for Dividends and Distributions" sheet that lists various amounts of Qualified dividends throughout the year for the VTIAX fund (also lists Foreign Tax withheld for that fund). I also see various Qualified dividends for the VTSAX fund but that fund did not have any Foreign Tax withheld.

In my 1099-B from Betterment, I see various transactions that have a Foreign Country = Various and some of those transactions have a >0 Qualified Dividend.

In order to get the amount to fill out the "Qual Div and LT Cap Gains" row, should I just add up the Qualified Dividends from the Vanguard 1099-DIV for the VTIAX fund and from the various transactions in the Betterment 1099-B? This does exceed the X value that TurboTax mentioned in the question by ~700 dollars.

Or do I just take the total numbers from Box 1b (Qualified Dividends) of the 1099-DIV for both Vanguard and Betterment (these are higher amounts)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Form 1116 Qual Div & LT Cap Gains should have a value of ...

Yes, you can add the dividend amounts from your supplemental info to get a Foreign Income amount associated with the foreign tax amount you previously entered.

You can use Country 'RIC' for the country for the 1099-Div Foreign Income total. 

Here's more detailed info on Claiming the Foreign Tax Credit.

@taxcurious1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies