Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1065, Schedule L - new hot tub depreciation tub

My wife and I run and real estate partnership LLC and file a 1065.  We have been depreciating the structure and goods for 2 years now and already have taken some depreciation.  This year we purchased a hot tub for the business purpose of increasing rentals, the amount of the hot tub was approximately $13k

2 questions:

1) Does the IRS have any guidance for the lifetime or depreciation table for a new hot tub?  Is it 27.5 years straight line?  

2) Where does the $13k hot tub investment show up in Schedule L.  Is it 10a Depletable Assets and we just bump the year "Beginning of tax year (b)" number up by $13k for "End of Year (c)"?  Then do we subtract year one depreciation of hot tub in 9b End of Tax Year "less accumulated depreciation"?

Thanks for your help,
Joe

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Assuming that the hot tub has been installed as part of the rental property then it is depreciated the same way a new roof or deck or addition would be.  As rental real estate improvements over 27.5 years.

@elbanev 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks and I bump up the 9a Depreciable Assets by $13k from Beginning of Tax Year to End of Tax Year on Schedule L.  I assume I would also take year 1 of depreciation on 9b.  Can you confirm?

Thanks,
Joe

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

It will probably not be a full year of depreciation this year depending on what date the hot tub was placed in service.  But otherwise all of that is correct.

@elbanev 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies