Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1041 Schedule K-1 -- Inherited IRA and House

Hello!  My father passed away in late 2022 and he had all of his assets (a House and Simple IRA Account) in a revocable trust.  My brother and I are equal beneficiaries.  We sold the house in August of 2023 and in 2023 we divided the IRA and liquidated all the assets.

I do my taxes via TurboTax (of course!) but we hired a CPA to take care of the  "U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts" in the name of my father's trust.  The CPA sent my brother and I the Schedule K-1 and Schedule K-1-T, and advised me to include this with my personal return.  I asked if I should be including the sale of my father's house in my personal return (I did so as a "second/investment home" and adjusted the value accordingly) -- and the CPA said I should NOT include it, because the sale is part of the Estate tax return.

Questions:  How do I include/upload the K-1 and K-1-T documents into my personal TurboTax return?  Can anyone weigh in on what I should do about the inherited house?  Should I not have followed the "inherited house" prompts (because it was part of a trust and not a "regular" inheritance?  Any insights are appreciated.  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Form 1041 Schedule K-1 -- Inherited IRA and House

You need to enter the trust schedule K-1 in the Wages and Income section of TurboTax, then Business Investment and Estate/Trust Income, then Schedule K-1. As mentioned by the CPA, it appears the gain or loss on sale of the property is entered on the schedule K-1. If so, you should not enter it separately.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies