turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1041 for an Estate

The Estate ( Established in 2020 , the year of death) earned Dividend Income in 2020 which was reported on the 2020 Form 1041 (there was no distribution of the income to beneficiaries).

In 2021 there was some dividend income in Jan. & Feb. which was not distributed until the Estate Account was closed and the entire estate was distributed in March.

In 2021 for the Final Return please advise :

1- do I report the Dividend Income solely on the Estate 1041 (as in 2020) or do I report that the Dividend Income was distributed and do the K-1's - just for the Income?

2- Do I need to report anywhere on 1041 the total distribution of the Estate? Estate well below reqmnt . for form 706 !!

3- re.  item  - If the dividend income is reported in total to the Estate on 1041 (not distributed); TT does not seem to provide step to include Exemption of $ 600 for Line 21 ??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robjoe

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Form 1041 for an Estate

if you distributed the income accruing to the estate in 2021 to the beneficiaries, then you would report the income as having been distributed and issue K-1s to the beneficiaries.

You do not need to report distributions of corpus (principal); only income and gains. Further, Form 706 is to report estate tax while Form 1041 is used to report estate income tax.

In the final year of the estate, all income, gain, deductions, credits, et al, are generally considered to be distributed so the exemption is not applicable.

Form 1041 for an Estate

Thanks so very much for your clear and concise answer. Greatly Appreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies