Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign tax credit form 1116

I followed the special instructions for generating form 1116.  I have dividend income and foreign taxes paid from 12 different countries.  I entered each one as asked during the interview process. When I ran Smart Check, there were no errors.  However, when I go to look at the actual forms, I am only seeing the following: Form 1116 (copy 1), Sch B Form 1116, Explanation Stm, and 1116 Comp Wks.  Shouldn't there be multiple  copies of form 1116 since there are 12 countries involved?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

TT can support only one country per 1099.  Here is a suggested workaround .

This is an example of the preparation to fill out a form 1116 for taxes paid by 3 countries within a 1099-DIV.

They are:

a: RIC which includes all mutual funds/ETF”s

b: Canada

c: United Kingdom

Three fictitious 1099-DIV’s will be created.  The original 1099-DIV will be used for domestic income only.

Bring up a new blank 1099-DIV.  For convenience name the payer the same as the country it represents. In this case the payer is RIC.  From the broker’s supplemental info, insert into box 1a the ordinary dividends from any and all mutual funds/ETF’s.  In box 1b, insert all qualified dividends form all mutual funds/ETF’s.  In box 7, insert the foreign tax paid from all mutual funds/ETF’s.  That completes the 1st fictitious 1099-DIV.

Bring up a 2nd blank 1099-DIV.  Name the payer Canada.  In box 1a, insert all the ordinary dividends from Canada; in box 1b all the qualified dividends from Canada and in box 7 the tax paid to Canada. That completes the 2nd fictitious 1099-DIV.

Bring up a 3rd blank 1099-DIV.  Name the payer U.K. In box 1a, insert all the ordinary dividends from the U.K.; in box 1b all the qualified dividends from the U.K.  The U.K. does not withhold taxes, but TT must see an amount in box 7 during the interview.  Insert $1.00 into box 7 and subtract $1.00 from box 7 of either of the previous fictitious 1099’s.  That completes the 3rd fictitious 1099-DIV.

On the original 1099-DIV, subtract all the foreign amounts from box 1a so that only the domestic ordinary dividends remain. Subtract all foreign amounts from box 1b so that only the domestic qualified dividends remain. Delete the amount in box 7, the foreign tax paid.

If there are more than 3 countries, TT will automatically generate additional F1116 copies as necessary

If there are more than 6 countries, the screen with the header “Report foreign tax paid to XXX” will only display up to 6 payers. Additional payers are on the following screen.

Thanks for this information.  It sounds different from how TT tells you to generate multiple 1116s.  I'm not doubting your workaround; however, I'll wait a few days to see if a TT expert chimes in on this.  It's odd that Smart Check didn't give me any errors so I hate to go through your process if there is some other explanation.  I'm just wondering if perhaps the additional 1116s are hidden somewhere and if they will be generated when I efile.  I just want to make sure I get this right the first time.  I'll send an update when I either try this or try something else if TT offers any explanation.  In any event, whatever I do, I will create a duplicate to work on! 

Where you able to figure this out?
I paid taxes to RIC and Canada. What's strange for me is after I finish entering Canada's foreign tax, the summary column still just says $0. Did this happen to you?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies