Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign interest income with no FEIN

How do I report interest income from a foreign bank with no FEIN number. I tried manually entering 1099-INT with item 6 for foreign tax paid. I initially put FEIN number as dummy number 11-111111. But in the end the turbotax federal review flags it as invalid and does not proceed. 

Turbotax team, can you suggest ways to resolve this error? 

Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Where are you entering this FEIN? I don't see a box which asks for it in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I select, enter 1099-INT manually it shows the following screen. If you leave FEIN number empty then TT does not proceed further.TurboTax_Premium_2023.png

@pkdo you know the answer for this question regarding reporting interest income from banks in India. Thank you. 

you use a 1099-INT report the payor's name (nothing else about the payor is needed not the address, not any id number),

interest amount converted to US $$'s, and the foreign tax info

@Mike9241 Thanks for the reply. Banks in India do not issue 1099-INT and also do not have FEIN number. Without FEIN number Turbotax does not accept the manual typed form. This makes it difficult. Can TurboTax super users help here. Please this is urgent. Thanks. 

I just talk to product support team and it seems like a bug which they filed in the system. It is not necessary to enter FEIN number when 1099-INT is not available. It was absent in the manual entry option, in 2022 version of the TT. See link below. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/1099-int-requires-a-complete-address-that-doesnt-....

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@ksbmi1 , having rad through  your post and the responses  ( which I agree with  ) from @Mike9241 , only point I would like to add is that  if you have  foreign bank accounts , these come under both FBAR and FATCA regs .  So please be aware of that -- these are not tax events  but not filing when required to , can attract onerous penalty.

Thank you. @pk for the reply. Yes, I will file FBAR and FINCEN 114 form. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies