Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

selldon
Returning Member

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

The IRS has revised its guidance for people fleeing conflict and other “adverse conditions” in certain foreign countries, including Ukraine.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rp-23-19.pdf

according to this document IRS provides a waiver, under Section 911(d)(4) of the Tax Code, of the time requirements for individuals who exclude their foreign-earned income when they must leave a foreign country because of war, civil unrest or similar adverse conditions in that country.

I arrived from Ukraine under the U4U program in February 2023(more than 183 days). Does this mean that I can use this exclusion and file taxes as a non-resident?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@selldon , the ref'd Revenue Procedure really applies only  to US expats ( in this case US citizens . GreenCard   ) whom 

(a)  have a foreign tax home 

(b)  are  generally are eligible for Foreign Earned Income exclusion,

(c)  are forced to abandon   foreign tax-home prematurely due to adverse conditions ( like war, natural disasters, pandemic etc. ) and therefore cannot meet the residency requirements imposed by section 911 (d)(1)

Under this  procedure,  such a person can meet  the residency duration  requirement  and thus be able to  use  Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

In your case   by virtue of being a Non-Resident Alien  for the  part of the year , where you are taxed only on UJS sourced income, you essentially are excluding  any foreign income  prior to being admitted to the USA.

Does this make sense  or am I  not understanding  what you are trying to achieve ?

Is there more I can do for you ?

pk

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@pk?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@selldon , the ref'd Revenue Procedure really applies only  to US expats ( in this case US citizens . GreenCard   ) whom 

(a)  have a foreign tax home 

(b)  are  generally are eligible for Foreign Earned Income exclusion,

(c)  are forced to abandon   foreign tax-home prematurely due to adverse conditions ( like war, natural disasters, pandemic etc. ) and therefore cannot meet the residency requirements imposed by section 911 (d)(1)

Under this  procedure,  such a person can meet  the residency duration  requirement  and thus be able to  use  Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

In your case   by virtue of being a Non-Resident Alien  for the  part of the year , where you are taxed only on UJS sourced income, you essentially are excluding  any foreign income  prior to being admitted to the USA.

Does this make sense  or am I  not understanding  what you are trying to achieve ?

Is there more I can do for you ?

pk

selldon
Returning Member

This answered my question. Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies