Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ahk1
Level 3

Foreign bank accounts - where to report foreign tax

Hi,

I am filing jointly with my wife. Both of us have Indian bank accounts. We get some interest in those accounts and we get taxed in one of those accounts as well.

I went through several questions in this community. This is my understanding-

1. You put interest income in 1099-INT pretending you got that form from foreign bank. Also, you put foreign tax in box 6. Is that correct? What about Foreign tax credit section? Should I use that for taxes deducted on these Indian account? Or should I use box 6 in 1099 INT? It is a bit confusing as I see both of these answers in the community.

2. There are two types of questions that confuses me in Foreign Accounts section of Income.

I check "I had a bank, broker or other financial account in foreign country" but this also looks something that can be checked - "I signed on or had other authority over a bank, broker or other financial account in a foreign country". What to do here?

3. Also, in subsequent pages, it asks about "foreign trust"- "I inherited an interest in a foreign account owned by a foreign trust." Is my foreign bank a foreign trust? Because IF I answer yes to that, it says "You May Need to File Form 3520". I am not sure about this. Our banks are ICICI bank FYI.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

1.a. Bank interest does go on a 1099-INT. 

b. Box 6 is for foreign tax paid is a good place to enter the income.  It tells the program to give you a foreign tax credit. 

c. If the amount of all foreign tax is below $300, you take the credit without having to file Form 1116.

d. Yes, you are using box 6 to get the foreign tax and you might need to go through the foreign tax credit to select a credit, if the total foreign tax paid is over $300. Otherwise, the program will do it all for you.

2. a. One of the most important questions according to the IRS. Check that you have a financial account in a foreign country.

b. Also important, check that you have authority over your bank account in a foreign country. Both should be marked.

3. a. No, a foreign bank is not a foreign trust.

b. It does not sound like you run or own the trust, just a beneficiary. Here is the form and instructions for you to verify that it is not needed in your scenario. About Form 3520, Annual Return To Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain For...

You may need to file Form 8936 and/ or FBAR. Here is a comparison of the FATCA (Form 8938) and FBAR requirements. The FBAR is not part of the tax return. It is filed separately. File FBAR through the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ahk1
Level 3

Thanks!

No, I don’t have trust etc, just usual foreign bank account.

i think i checked-

"I had a bank, broker or other financial account in foreign country"

don't remember if i checked - "I signed on or had other authority over a bank, broker or other financial account in a foreign country"

tbh, these questions are overloaded and confusing .

AmyC
Expert Alumni

It is a lot of information that all sounds similar. The important part was to help you determine if you need to file the FATCA or FBAR forms. Depending on your answers, the program goes towards or away from your filing those forms. Be sure to review the comparison of the FATCA (Form 8938) and FBAR so you don't miss filing a form you need.

If you don't need the forms, great. If you do, you can file them. 

If you are concerned, you should be able to get back to those questions by going back to review the income section and then select done. Then there should be a few questions for you. It isn't worth worrying about if your forms are correct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ahk1
Level 3

thank you. I read the link you shared. I do remember answering reporting income questions. My **bleep**. foreign account balance was way less than $10,000 at any time of the year so I think I am good.

Thanks for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies