Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For my state taxes, it asks for the number of months my dependents have been in home (form 140). Does it mean from when they were born? Or in current house?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

For my state taxes, it asks for the number of months my dependents have been in home (form 140). Does it mean from when they were born? Or in current house?

in 2023 obviously can't be more than 12

d) the number of months this person lived in your home;
Temporary absences: Your child or dependent is
considered to have lived with you during periods of time
when temporarily absent due to special circumstances such
as: illness, education, business, or vacation. Your child is
also considered to have lived with you during any required
hospital stay following birth, as long as the child would
have lived with you during that time but for the
hospitalization

It means, living with you in your home as a member of your household, wherever that home happens to be.  Note that if the child lived in your home more than half the year (6 months plus 1 day), select 7 months or higher, since the program interprets "6 months" to be "exactly half the year" and that can affect certain issues.  And, there is a special rule for newborns, if the child has lived in your home more than half the time since they were born, select "the whole year" or 12 months.

This question relates to when parents are separated or divorced and live apart sharing custody.  If you live with the child and the other parent in the same home (either married or unmarried living together) you should generally just say "the whole year". 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies