Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For multiple businesses being aggregated under Regulations section 1.199A-4. Provided a description of the trade or business and an explanation of the factors met that allow agregation in accordance section 1.199A-4

HI,

I have a hobby of buying and selling on ebay. As the hobby grew, I had to declare it as a real business on eBay since the 1099-K was about $600. I did not see this on the 2022 Turbo Tax version and its questionnaires but on 2023 Turbo Tax Home and Business ask if my online business is a QBI. I answered YES since its in the USA and I make/produce the products which I carry an inventory in my home. On the Review process, its is asking this which I don't fully have an understanding

Provide a description of the trade and an explanation of the factors met that allow the aggregation in accordance with Regulations section 1.199A-4.

Not sure what answer they are looking for?

Has this trade or business aggregation changed from the prior year?

No. The business has not changed.

Business Name is my name, John 

QBI 9999

UBIA 500

Next line is was automatically added Enterprise #1 and its UBIA is 333,000. 

Not sure how that was added.

Last line is the Qualified business income component amount.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

For multiple businesses being aggregated under Regulations section 1.199A-4. Provided a description of the trade or business and an explanation of the factors met that allow agregation in accordance section 1.199A-4

An individual may be engaged in more than one trade or business.  The qualified business income deduction rules under section 199A presume that each trade or business is a separate trade or business.  However, an individual may make a decision to aggregate the various trades or businesses into one trade or business only for the purpose of the qualified business income deduction.

The question is asking whether you want to aggregate multiple trades or businesses into one trade or business for purposes of the qualified business income deduction section 199A.  You may not have multiple trades or businesses.  You are not required to do this.  

See also this IRS FAQ question 28.

QBI 9999 is qualified business income of $9,999, I presume.

UBIA 500 or UBIA 333 is unadjusted basis immediately after acquisition (UBIA) refers to the basis of the assets within the trade or business.  See the IRS FAQ question 1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies