Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For Estate Income Tax return (Form1041), are these items "Selling Expenses" on an inherited house?

We siblings inherited a house, quickly found a realtor, followed her suggestions to paint, etc., had an estate sale, buyer made an offer we accepted, paid a plumber to repair things noted in the inspection, then went to closing within four months of date of death.  We did not live in the house.

We received a 1099-S with Box 2 Gross Proceeds shown.  May we include these items as Selling Expenses, all of which were clearly done to get the house ready to sell or to sell it?  I'm using TurboTax Business.  I expect that this will result in a Loss that will go to the beneficiaries.

1.  (All of these are shown on the Settlement Statement, HUD-1, so it'd be great to just use that total if possible)

-Realtor Commission

-Title items (Owners Policy, Search Fee, Binder Fee, Settlement Fee to Attorney)

-Sewer Assessment Letter

-Mail Away Fee

-Property Taxes (I've seen conflicting answers to this item)

2. (Other items I'd like to list as expenses of this investment property, if you believe they're allowed)

-Estate Sale costs

-Painting, etc., as suggested by realtor before listing house

-Plumber costs following inspection

-Insurance & utilities for period after death

Thank you for helping me with this!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For Estate Income Tax return (Form1041), are these items "Selling Expenses" on an inherited house?

You cannot deduct typical ownership costs as expenses per 1.67-4 unless the property were used for business purposes or the production of income.

Those costs would include insurance, repairs, fix-up expenses, et al.

View solution in original post

The estate can deduct the likes of real estate commissions and fees charged for the estate sale as selling expenses.

Real estate taxes and attorneys fees paid by the estate can be deducted as such on Form 1041.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You cannot deduct typical ownership costs as expenses per 1.67-4 unless the property were used for business purposes or the production of income.

Those costs would include insurance, repairs, fix-up expenses, et al.

The estate can deduct the likes of real estate commissions and fees charged for the estate sale as selling expenses.

Real estate taxes and attorneys fees paid by the estate can be deducted as such on Form 1041.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies