Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Michell09
Returning Member

Final Return - S Corp

Hi, 

I am a Georgia S Corp with only 1 shareholder. A small payroll company who has been struggling since Covid. No business earnings for the past three years. As a result, this is my final business tax return for tax yr 2022 for which it is marked on my business tax return.  I am not sure to why the retained earnings are not showing on my Sched K.  Unsure if it’s because I was already taxed and that amount of retained earnings are showing on Sched M-2 and that is why the distribution amount is not going on my personal taxes? Not sure if the Turbo tax software is actually processing correctly or am I suppose to add the undistributed previously taxed amount onto my personal tax return 1040(Home/Business). Hopefully someone can assist or

at least answer my questions. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Final Return - S Corp

Previously taxed so there should not be a major issue.

I will page @Rick19744 and @Mike9241 

Final Return - S Corp

Not exactly sure what you are asking, as retained earnings are never reflected on Schedule K.  Possibly you meant to say Schedule L?

There are a number of issues that come into play on a final return:

• Your ending balance sheet should be zeroed out.
  • If you had any liquidating distributions, those should be reported on a 1099-DIV box 9 or 10 as applicable and NOT on the K-1.
  • Your K-1 should only reflect any ordinary income or expenses as applicable
  • Since obviously we can't see your return, you may have a book gain or loss to zero out the balance sheet and then have a M-1 for this book to tax adjustment.
  • Distribution of tangible personal property is treated as a sale, so this needs to be considered if applicable.  Any gain on this distribution will be reflected on your K-1 and increases your tax basis in your S corporation stock.
  • Hopefully you have maintained your tax basis in the S corporation stock.  This is key in being able to determine the overall gain or loss.
  • Don't forget you may have some state of Georgia filing requirements; ie Secretary of State.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

Final Return - S Corp

wrong schedule - schedule k on the 1120-s does not report retained earnings

at best it would be on schedule L - but in theory if it was always and s-corp and all the assets and liablities are gone it would likely be zero

the other place might be the m-2 but again just like above it likely would be zero

look at schedule B line 11. - there should be nothing left so schedule L and m-1 are not required.

also retained earnings are not reported on your k-1.

so i'm unsure of what you are looking for.

maybe if you would clarify the issue, we couls provide additional advice

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies