Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

[Filter: PII] seanpathickey's post body matched "r:[\w\d]{4}-[\w\d]{5}-[\w\d]{5}", board "202".

[Filter: PII] seanpathickey's post body matched "r:[\w\d]{4}-[\w\d]{5}-[\w\d]{5}", board "202".

Post Subject: US citizen (in the US) married to a non-resident alien spouse who is not living in the US, does she need an ITIN number?

Post Body:

I'm a US citizen living in the US and am married to a non-resident alien (visa application is pending) who is not living in the US.  My wife has never made US income. 

In the last few years, I have filed as "Married Filing Separately" and was able to put a default tax number or write "NRA" for my wife where the form requested, but I am reading conflicting information online about what is accepted now. 

According to the IRS website here, my wife needs to file for an ITIN number (see screenshot below): https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

ITIN1.png

However, according to the instructions sheet for the W-7 ITIN application also at the IRS website, "spouses who reside outside of the US shouldn't apply for...an ITIN number unless they qualify for an allowable tax benefit." (See screenshot below): https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

ITIN2.png

Do I need to fill out an application for an ITIN number or is there an option to put a default number/write "NRA" in the blank again? Because my wife's visa application is still pending, I don't want to do anything that would compromise the process. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Body text "dent-alien-spous" matched filter pattern "r:[\w\d]{4}-[\w\d]{5}-[\w\d]{5}".

Post by User[id=1215667,login=seanpathickey] was rejected for the following end-user facing error(s):

• Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies