Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jahnic32

Filling status / state

• My husband and I live in separate states he is in Nevada I am in California. Are we able to file a joint federal return and if so, what state of residence do I put for him? when I originally did the taxes it showed us owing California but as soon as I changed his state of residence to Nevada, there is a zero California balance due. We do have 3 dependents  So am I able to file a joint return for federal showing his state of residence as Nevada and mine California?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Filling status / state

Yes, married couples who reside in different states may still file a joint federal tax return.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Jahnic32

Filling status / state

Can I file my federal joint return with Nevada for my husband’s state of residence and California for mine? 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Filling status / state

You can file your federal return as married filing joint.  When you complete your personal information in TurboTax, be aware that the IRS will send any potential correspondences to the address of the primary filer on your tax return.  If your husband is listed first, his address will show up on the 1040.  If you are listed first, your address will show up on the 1040.  

As far as California, since you have income from California sources and are domiciled within California, you will still need to file your state return using the same married filing jointly status, even if your spouse does not have any California source income.  Please see the excerpt below from the form instructions for 2023.  The only way to file a married filing separately within in California in your situation is if you do not have any CA source income and only he had earned income from Nevada.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies