Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing under married

I am trying to file for taxes but my legal partner is from and lives in the UK and refuses to get an itin. how do I get my taxes done? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Filing under married

@Icegirl8082 , if the marriage is recognized either in the UK or in the USA, then you can file as MFS ( Married Filing Separate).  During the preparation  TurboTax will  his name and SSN --- in place of SSN enter a dummy SSN such your own SSN with the last four digits changed .   Once all done, print the return and replace by hand the  dummy SSN with   N R A .   You will have to file by mail ( I don't think turbotax supports the entry of  NRA in place SSN.  This does mean that your return would get slow train for processing  and therefore your refund may be delayed.  At the same time even if your spouse agrees to file for an ITIN along with your return , you will still have to file by mail and same issues. ( besides I have seen posts here  by people that have been waiting more than a year to get the ITIN issued by the IRS  ( they claim under budget, under staffed .... ).

Good luck

Carl
Level 15

Filing under married

I"m not sure on this, but I think in this case when filing MFJ, you are required to report "all" world wide income that both of you earned in any country. So I would suggest you consider filing as Married Filing Separate. The information on the lack of an SSN/ITIN still applies.

\

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies