Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

filing transfer of estate for my deceased parent with irs

My dad passed 3 months ago. he is a non US citizen and he didn't live in the US, yet he had a checking and a brokerage account with a national well known large US bank. he left no will, but he left me as the sole beneficiary. the income in that bank didn't care from any US trade or business in the US, basically with his salary as a lawyer eventually he bought dollars, took a plane to Florida and one day he went to the bank and deposited it. he didn't "meet the green card test" for residency purposes in any year, and last time he visited the US was about 8 years ago for a few days on vacation.

i contacted the bank, and they requested me to file IRS form 706NA.

I think I will need to hire an accountant/attorney because i have no clue whether i will need to pay some sort of tax. I live in Texas and as far as i understand there is no inheritance tax at the state level, but the IRS is at the federal level. This bank doesn't have a branch in my location.

Besides filing the 706NA, what else should I do? are the taxes to pay? if so, how would the IRS tell me how much it is owed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

filing transfer of estate for my deceased parent with irs

You need to seek guidance from a local tax professional.

See https://taxexperts.naea.org/expertdirectory

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies