Solved: Filing taxes with alien husband with no income

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Filing taxes with alien husband with no income

Hello,

I am trying to file my taxes for 2019. I got married in August of 2019! My husband came to the US in may of 2019, and we are both staying in the US. He has no worldwide income. I have 2 questions:

Should I file Jointly or Seperately? 

I am required to get an ITIN, how should I approach that with my husband having no income!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 12
Level 12

@BreeAndFifi , assuming that you are US citizen/Resident ( Green Card ), you can file  Married  Filing Joint            ( MFJ ) -- this is the usually the most tax benign  status.

To do this  ( since  he does not have a tax id -- SSN/ITIN ),  (a) you prepare the return as MFJ,  and use a dummy SSN  for him -- this will satisfy the TUbroTax  and let you complete the return prep.;  (b) Do not e-file;   (c)  Print the return out, sign / date  -- both sign;  (c) snopake  out the dummy SSN used  form him and  hand print in NRA in its place;  (d) from the IRS web site download form W-7, fill it out for him  requesting and ITIN, collect and attach all the  required documents  asked for  by form W-7;  (e) put all this -- return, W-7 and attachments -- in an envelope  and mail by secure / traceable mail to the IRS.

This  will result in human intervention , delay issuance of refund but will allow IRS to issue ITIN        retroactively ( i.e. valid for 2019 filing ).

btw -- you should also add a request/letter signed by both of  you  asking for him to be treated as a resident for tax purposes for the year 2019 ( from the time  he enterd the USA )

Good luck

Does this  help ?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 12
Level 12

@BreeAndFifi , assuming that you are US citizen/Resident ( Green Card ), you can file  Married  Filing Joint            ( MFJ ) -- this is the usually the most tax benign  status.

To do this  ( since  he does not have a tax id -- SSN/ITIN ),  (a) you prepare the return as MFJ,  and use a dummy SSN  for him -- this will satisfy the TUbroTax  and let you complete the return prep.;  (b) Do not e-file;   (c)  Print the return out, sign / date  -- both sign;  (c) snopake  out the dummy SSN used  form him and  hand print in NRA in its place;  (d) from the IRS web site download form W-7, fill it out for him  requesting and ITIN, collect and attach all the  required documents  asked for  by form W-7;  (e) put all this -- return, W-7 and attachments -- in an envelope  and mail by secure / traceable mail to the IRS.

This  will result in human intervention , delay issuance of refund but will allow IRS to issue ITIN        retroactively ( i.e. valid for 2019 filing ).

btw -- you should also add a request/letter signed by both of  you  asking for him to be treated as a resident for tax purposes for the year 2019 ( from the time  he enterd the USA )

Good luck

Does this  help ?

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings