Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing Status of Parent When Claiming Their Spouse as Dependent

Both of my parents live with me.  Last year in 2022, they filed MFJ but checked box that my dad's spouse (my mom) is claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  She was filed on my return as a dependent since I provide more than half her living expenses and she does not have taxable income (only Social Security benefits).  We filed using TurboTax and there was not an issue with my parents filing MFJ with box checked that my mom is claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  However, this year in TurboTax, I get a message popping up saying their filing status cannot be MFJ as my dad cannot claim my mom as a dependent since she's claimed on someone else's return, and then, it switches his filing status to Single.  This does not seem right that his filing status is set as Single.  I have checked the 2023 1040-SR form and it still has the same format as the 2022 format that shows the checkbox for someone to show that they cannot claim their spouse as a dependent as they are claimed on someone else's return.  Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Filing Status of Parent When Claiming Their Spouse as Dependent

TurboTax is correct.  You cannot claim your mom as a dependent, and your dad to also get the $13,850 deduction for her as a spouse when MFJ.   That's two people claiming the same person for a deduction. 

Your mom is worth much more when filing with your dad as MFJ, than the $500 you get for claiming her as your dependent.  

Couldn't say why it worked for you in 2022 without seeing your returns.

Here's more info on Dependent on Another Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies