Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Filing separately from my spouse -charitable contributions

I am filing separately from my spouse both of us will itemize with his taking the majority of the deductions.  Can I claim our charitable contributions only on my Sch A and nothing else?
1 Reply
Level 5

Filing separately from my spouse -charitable contributions

Yes, as long as you don't live in a community property state.  Community Property states are: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin

If you live in a community property state, you will generally split it all 50/50. Some states have specific rules regarding the split, but most community property states follow the 50/50 rule.  The exception would be income earned on assets or investments that were owned by a spouse prior to the marriage and not commingled. Also, inherited income that was not commingled. 

Is it better for a married couple to file jointly or separately?


Married Filing Separately in a Community Property State



About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies