Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing for myself & my single-party LLC, including business deductions

I incorporated my own LLC to do some independent contracting work after getting laid off from a full-time employer. At the end of the year, I will receive a W-2 from my old employer and a 1099 from the companies where I have completed independent contractor work. I have also been tracking expenses that can be written off as business expenses for my LLC.

Does TurboTax help me with these business deductions? And do I file one tax report jointly for myself and my single-party LLC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Andrew_W
Employee Tax Expert

Filing for myself & my single-party LLC, including business deductions

Hi @steffeneriksen,

A single-member LLC, or SMLLC, is generally considered a sole proprietorship for tax purposes and is reported on your personal tax return, there is no need for a separate return. Within TurboTax your business income and expenses are entered in the Wages & Income > Self-Employment section. TurboTax will ask about your business's details, including sources of income, and recommend expense categories. You will be able to modify the categories and enter your business expenses to offset your gross business income. 

I also suggest checking out the Self-Employment Tax Hub, it is a great resource for self-employed individuals from a tax perspective.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies