Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cgarcia68

Filing for Deceased Mother

My mother passed end of November and I am filling out turbo tax for her as I always did.  We had her online access we would login and complete and file.  I am her trustee and beneficiary.  I am not seeing where any of the inquiries when I first log on have where I can enter when she passed away. Based on other's posts it should be in the Personal Info at the beginning.   Can you point me in the right direction where I am able to enter this information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

Filing for Deceased Mother

To enter the information on TurboTax, you will need to go to:

1. Tax Home
  2. Go to My info
  3. On the right side of her name, click the Edit Box
  4. Scroll down and you will find a question that says "I am preparing this return for ____, who has passed away"- make sure to answer Yes
  5. Enter the date she passed away

As you continue the return, the program will ask you additional questions.  Other things to consider when filing her return are:

• Before you file a decedent return, make sure the Social Security Administration has been notified of the taxpayer's death. You can either go to their website or call 1-800-772-1213.  
  • Only income earned between the beginning of the year and the date of death should be reported on the decedents’ final return. 
  • The final return should be filed on the same form that would have been used if the taxpayer were still alive, but "Deceased:" is written at the top of the return followed by the person's name and the date of death. The deadline to file a final return is the tax filing deadline of the year following the taxpayer's death.
  • Any income earned after the day of death is reported on a trust return Form 1041, US Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts. You’ll need an Employer Identification Number from the IRS, which you can get here.
  • You may also need Form 56, which is used when either setting up or terminating a fiduciary relationship. It authorizes you to act as if you’re the taxpayer, allowing you to file income tax returns and pay taxes due with the returns. This form isn't prepared with the decedent’s income tax return. It’ll need to be completed and mailed to the IRS office where the decedent’s tax return is filed.
  • Lastly, if the tax return for the decedent has a refund, you’ll need to complete Form 1310 - Statement of Person Claiming a Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer.  It can be completed in TurboTax.  

I am sorry for the loss of your mom.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies