Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JB176

Filing for 18-year-old son. Use his email address or mine?

I'm confused how to handle this and haven't gotten a clear answer from some of the "standard" responses I've seen posted.

I am about to do my 18-year-old's taxes for him while he is away at college. Should I start out by creating an account/entering his email address...or mine? 

I want to be able to monitor that the taxes have been properly filed...but I also want him to be able to eventually "take over" the account and do his own taxes. When he does, I don't necessarily, though, want him to have access to my information. (If it matters, I did not use TT for doing my own taxes, but I did many years ago.)

So do I do this under my email address? Or do I do it under his email address -- being able to log on and off because I will have the password?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

with online every tax filer needs their own account.  it's up to the person creating the account as to what e-mail to use. You can use yours for up to 5 accounts. Only the e-mail account specified gets a notification as to filing status  - successfully submitted and rejected or accepted. 

The email address is primarily for the IRS to let the taxpayer know the status of the return.  Ask your son.  If he wants you to handle everything, use your own email address.  I do my adult daughter's taxes.  She likes me to handle the paperwork so she wants me to use my own email address on her return.  I do so.  But be sure to get your son's permission.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies